In less than two weeks I will finally be heading off to Japan! The idea that I am actually going abroad feels extremely surreal. You see, it’s been more than a year since I applied to this program. I can still remember the excitement and exhilaration that I felt when I was first nominated by DU to go study at Sophia University. Right now though I feel numb and emotionless. Maybe it’s because the pressure of my final exams, presentations and projects is currently quelling the waves of thrill, nervousness and elation that I usually feel before going on an adventure. I guess it’s just going to hit me all at once when I get on the airplane.
My plane leaves Denver, Colorado at 6:45 in the morning, three days after my last final. That doesn’t give me much time to prepare for departure especially because I’ll mainly be focused on passing my classes. Ahh! I already feel like I am going to forget some important task that I need to do. So on top of dealing with school, these are the chores that I need to tackle:
1) Pay Wells Fargo a visit. I need to notify them that I will be in Japan for 5 months so that they won’t accidentally shut down my account. Now that would be a problem.
2) Take a trip to Sprint! Instead of using my iphone while I’m in Japan, I am thinking of suspending/deactivating my phone account so I don’t have to pay the monthly phone bills. According to a few study abroad returnees, CIEE provides us with a cell phone.
3) Move everything out of my dorm room and into a storage unit! This is the most daunting task of all. I don’t even want to start thinking about it.
4) Buy gifts for my host family. So far I have not received any information about my host family yet but nevertheless I’m still having some fun brainstorming what to get them.
5) Pack my suitcases, print out my airplane confirmation ticket, double-check to see if I have my passport, money, brain, camera… oh the list seems endless.
I also want to say goodbye to as many people as I can before I leave!! With finals and spring break coming up I know it’s going to be hectic trying to meet with everyone but hopefully I will be able to grab dinner or coffee with all of my lovely friends.